Method 1: Via email
Find your Send-to-Kindle email address. You’ll need it to send a PDF document to a Kindle device or Kindle app:
- Go to the Amazon “My Devices” page and, if necessary, log in.
- Scroll down and click Personal Document Settings.
- Scroll down and under “E-mail address” find your email address.
- If necessary, add a new email address. To do this, click Add a new approved e-mail address, enter your email address when prompted, and then click Add Address.
- Open any of your mailboxes.
Create a new letter. To do this, open the window for creating a new letter:
Gmail – Click Compose (or ＋ Compose) on the left side of the page.
Outlook – Click “＋ Compose Message” in the top left corner of the page.
Yahoo – Click “Write” at the top left of the page.
iCloud Mail – click on the blue icon at the top of the page. If you are not logged in yet, please enter your email address and password.
- Enter your Send to Kindle email address. In the “To” text box, enter the email address found in the “Email address” section of your Amazon account’s Kindle page.
- Send an email. Click Submit (or click the paper airplane icon). The PDF file will be sent to your Kindle device or Kindle app; this may take several minutes.
- Depending on the mail service, a window may appear asking if you want to send an email without a subject and body. In this case, click Yes or Submit.
- Click on the “Attachment” icon. It is usually located at the bottom or top of the window with a new letter. An Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) window opens.
Select a PDF file: Navigate to the folder containing the desired PDF document, and then click on it. Click Open. This button is located in the lower right corner of the window. The PDF file will be attached to the email.
- Open a PDF document on your Kindle device. Make sure your Kindle is unlocked and connected to your wireless network (or mobile internet). Now tap the PDF file in the Library section to open the document. For the Kindle app, launch it, log in (if needed), click the LIBRARY tab, and then tap the PDF document.
Method 2: With USB cable
- Do not use this method to copy a PDF file to the Kindle app. For the Kindle app, use email.
- Download and install Android File Transfer if you have a Mac computer. Mac computers cannot work directly with the Android system, so you will need the Android File Transfer program:
- Go to https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ on your Mac web browser.
- Click “Download now” (Download).
- Double-click on the downloaded DMG file.
- Drag the Android File Transfer icon to the Applications folder icon.
- Copy the PDF
- Navigate to the folder containing the desired PDF document, click on it, and then click Ctrl+C (Windows) or ⌘ Command+C (Mac).
- Connect your Kindle to your computer. Plug one end of the USB charging cable into your computer’s USB port and the other end into your Kindle’s charging port.
- For a Mac computer, you may need a USB 3.0 to USB/C adapter.
Open a Kindle window. For this:
- Windows – open an Explorer window (or click ⊞ Win+E ), and then click the Kindle name in the left pane. You may need to scroll down the bar to find the Kindle name.
- Mac – Launch Android File Transfer. To do this, enter Android file transfer Spotlight, and then double-click “Android File Transfer” in the search results.
Open your Kindle’s internal storage. If the Kindle window does not display a row of folders, double-click either the “Internal” or “Internal Storage” folder.
Find and open the “Docs” folder. This folder stores Kindle files such as PDF and Word documents.
Double-click this folder to open it.
Skip this step on a Mac computer.
If you have a classic Kindle, this folder might be called Documents.
Insert PDF file. When the Docs folder opens, press Ctrl+V (Windows) or ⌘ Command+V (Mac) to paste the copied PDF into the folder. This will transfer the PDF document to Kindle.
Safely turn off and disconnect your Kindle from your computer. Once you’ve safely turned off your Kindle, unplug its cable from your computer.
Open a PDF document on your Kindle device. Unlock your device, and then tap the PDF file in the Library section to open the document.
- PDF files are supported by most Kindle models, so there is no need to convert PDF documents to other formats.
- If the system does not recognize your Kindle when it is connected to your computer via a USB cable, try connecting the cable to a different USB port, and then restart your computer and Kindle. If that doesn’t work, try a different USB cable.
- PDF files may not display as expected on the Kindle screen.